Fáilte & Welcome
Céad Míle Fáilte to all our readers, whether parent, student, teacher, past student or someone interested to find out about our fine College.
Inspired by our motto, Veritas, we strive to realise each individual’s full potential in a Catholic environment.
Dominican College, Griffith Avenue is a school in the Roman Catholic tradition whose motto – Veritas – imbues all aspects of school life. The fundamental concern of Dominican education is the development of the whole person and in Dominican College, we strive to develop each student’s self-confidence and to ensure that she realises her full potential in a Catholic environment.
While the design of the heart shaped, mediaeval style crest is a link with the past, it also evokes the timeless message of St. Paul, “At all times carry faith as a shield” (Eph. 6-16) as well as the assurance of the psalmist “His Truth shall be your Shield”. (Psalm. 91:4)
The centrality of the Cross on the crest, together with the symbolism of the white and black, provide a focus and an inspiration for the Christian student. White, traditionally associated with the Risen Christ, penetrates the darkness of ignorance and sin. In mediaeval times, however, black and white together symbolised humility and purity of life – hence the tradition of black and white for Dominicans.
The cross beams culminate in a favourite floral symbol, the fleur de lys – a lily composed of three petals bound together at their bases by the line of the Cross. This is indeed a worthy ideal for any school aiming to foster a true spirit of community centred on Christ.
Le Chéile and Dominican College
The Le Chéile Schools Trust is a collaborative trust set up initially by twelve congregations. The Trust will carry out the increasingly complex legal and inspirational role of the Patron previously exercised by the congregations. In setting up the Trust, the congregations wish
# To affirm their committment to the future of Catholic Education
# To provide for the needs of the students and communities in their schools
# To honour their partnership with the government in the education system.
Click here to link to In Search of Truth - The Dominican Way.
In Search of Truth
A Living Tradition
The network of Dominican Schools and Colleges in Ireland has inherited a rich tradition in Education. Each succeeding generation has found new ways of passing on Christian values. Now at the beginning of another millennium with its advanced technology and new means of conveying information and knowledge, we discern how these resources can assist us to continue to build a community centred on Christ. In our search for Truth we:-
- Work together
- Learn to make informed judgements
- Pray together
- Forgive each other
- Develop individual gifts and talents
The School And The Family
We aim to establish a real partnership which will:-
- Enable parents to feel at ease within the school community
- Involve them in their child's education
- Help staff and parent's to work in harmony to provide the very best for each individual child
Faith And Culture - A Synthesis
'Fill your minds with everything that is good' (St. Paul, Phil 4:8). Inspired by these words and by the Parable of the Talents (Matt 25:14-30), we provide a broad curriculum which involves:-
- An appreciation of the varying gifts of each student
- Striving for academic excellence, aware that this will not be the same for each one
- A considered approach to competition
- A constant effort to synthesises faith and culture so that intellectual development and growth as a Christian go hand in hand
Formation in the specifically Catholic tradition of our schools will involve:-
- A programme of Religious Education as specified by the Diocese
- A liturgical programme which makes available to students the liturgical and sacramental life of the church
- Involvement in and sensitivity to ecumenism through knowledge and activities
We proclaim the essential goodness of all creation and of the human person made in the image of God. Reflecting on the Parable of the Sower, we foster a pastoral approach which is embedded in the daily life of the school and is characterised by:-
- Eliciting the co-operation of the students
- Forming good relationships between staff, parents and students
The School And The Environment
- To create surroundings which promote refinement of thought and care for God's gifts
- To promote an awareness of care of the earth
- To make our schools inviting places of learning
Our Schools And Colleges
St. Dominic's, Ballyfermot; St. Dominic's, St. Catherine's, Casa Catherina, Cabra; Dominican Primary School, Dun Laoghaire; St. Catherine's, St. Dominic's, St. Rose's, Falls Road; Dominican College, Fortwilliam; Dominican College, Griffith Avenue; Dominican College, Scoil Rois, Taylor's Hill, Galway; Scoil Chatriona, Scoil Mobhi, Mobhi Road; Dominican College, Muckross Park; Dominican College, Portstewart; St. Catherine's College, Froebel College, Dominican College, Beninicasa, Sion Hill; St. Dominic's, Sutton; Holy Rosary Primary School, Dominican College, Wicklow.
D eveloped in a spirit of trust and freedom, linked with responsibility
O pen to the wider community - local, national, European and global
M indful of Justice issues
I nclusive rather than exclusive
N eeds of the individual supported
I mmersed in Gospel values
C atholic in focus, daily practice, liturgy and prayer
A lways gentle, reverent towards others
N ourishes the gifts of each student - all made in the image of God
E licits the co-operation of students
D irects its efforts towards integrating faith and culture
U nited as a Staff with a common vision
C ommunity based with Christ as centre
A lert to the signs of the times and willing to adapt to changing conditions
T ruth pursued in every area and seen as a life-long search
I nvolves parents in a meaningful way
O pposed to unhealthy competition, academic cramming
N eed for pastoral care essential
Source: In Search of Truth - The Dominican Way
Dominican College is a well-equipped modern school, located in attractive, landscaped surroundings. We are proud of the range of top-level educational facilities we have to offer.
Among these are:
- All classrooms with 100mb broadband, computers and data projectors
- Three fully equipped science laboratories
- A scientific demonstration room
- Fully equipped computer room; class set of laptops; set of iPads
- Two newly equipped kitchens
- Newly equipped dress design room
- Two large well-equipped art rooms
- Well stocked library staffed with a full-time librarian
- Music room
- Newly equipped indoor sports complex incorporating various sports and a self-contained gymnasium
- Multi-purpose outdoor pitch
- Two basketball/tennis courts
- Learning Support area
- Assembly hall with stage and recently installed high-spec lighting and sound facilities
- School shop which provides a selection of healthy sandwiches, rolls and wraps.